Sign In

Home/Encyclopaedia

Bush Explorers Encyclopaedia

Arwens Pathway
 - Arwens Pathway

Is located on the Ben Bullen Range, 2.7km east, south east of Cullen Bullen. This is a beautiful long overhang, decorated with ornate weathering and multi coloured layers. The overhang connects the Hall of Celebrian to the cliff line that rises to the Hall of Elrond. Hall of Arwen is located at GR 268 104 at the start of Arwens Pathway. Named by Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk, 28th June 2012. Arwen is the daughter of Elrond and Celebrian and the future wife of Aragorn, the main hero of Lord of the Rings. Yuri has named several features in this area based on the fictional characters created by J. R. R Tolkien.

Read More

Ascension Point
 - Ascension Point

Is the end of a small spur. In keeping with the heavenly themed features in this area, Yuri Bolotin named it on a Bush Club walk on 7th June 2012. Located above the northern side of Bungleboori Creek, 3.3km south, south east of the Two Trees Road and Waratah Ridge Road intersection. Other features in this area include Holts Heaven, Angels Window and Angels Rest.

Read More

Axehead Cave
 - Axehead Cave

Located above the upper reaches of Bungleboori Creek has a width below the drip line of about 17m. The depth is about 13m as is the height at the front. The most visible sign that it is a significant Aboriginal site is the solitary quite large red ochre hand and forearm stencil on the left hand side wall of the cave. The assessment of the stone which gives the cave its name, was that it looks like a basalt stone core that has been well worked judging by what appears to be numerous flake scars on its surface, but it could have once been an axe, given its form.

Read More

Baal Bone

Is a locality name. The first land grant of Cullen Bullen, (2000ac), was taken up by Robert Venour Dulhunty. His brother Lawrence Vance Dulhunty also took a large grant of land nearby. Robert Dulhunty was at one stage Commissioner of Disputed Land Claims in Queensland. Robert's son, Lawrence Joseph Edward Dulhunty, moved to Queensland, where he held extensive properties and was a well-respected and influential person. Dulhunty Plains and Dulhunty River were named after his family. The Dulhuntys took an interest in Aboriginal names of the Tambo area. An Aboriginal name for water and drink in the Norman River area was "baal". Locally, Baal Bone Gap is the only easy accessible means through the cliff line to the headwaters of the Baal Bone Creek and further south to the headwaters of the Coxs River. The coining of the word, "bone" as in "pointing the bone" adds direction via this gap. Ref: Indigenous word lists compiled by Smyth and Curr. Dulhunty Papers.The Brisbane Courier, 26th March 1881, p. 7. This aboriginal place according to Helen Riley, Wiradjuri Elder and Sharon Riley, Wiradjuri representative is for, Mens Business, and they would go no where near it. Ref: Oral history 3rd May 2016.

Read More

Baal Bone Creek *

Is a non perennial stream rising at Baal Bone Gap. It flows generally west, southwest for about 4km into Jews Creek.

Read More

Baal Bone Creek Trail
 - Baal Bone Creek Trail

Is a NPWS signed trail named on the Ben Bullen topographic map with extensions to the south west being shown but not named on the Cullen Bullen topographic map. Taken at its greatest extension, it stretches from the Wolgan Road near Lambs Creek, GR 302 082,crossing through Gardiners Gap, passing east of the Baal Bone Colliery and terminating where it joins The Bicentennial National Trail about 1km south of Baal Bone Gap at GR 290 179.

Read More

Baal Bone Gap *
 - Baal Bone Gap

Was first shown on the map Parish of Ben Bullen, 1885. Baal Bone Gap is a saddle 1km west of Mount McLean. The Bicentennial National Trail crosses this gap.

Read More

Baal Bone Point *
 - Baal Bone Point

Was also first shown on the same map as Baal Bone Gap. Baal Bone Point is the terminal point of land at northern end of the escarpment 2.5km south west of Pantoneys Crown.

Read More

Bald Hill
 - Bald Hill

is a descriptive name for the hill on which Bald Trig Station is positioned. One of the most extensive views in this region is seen from this vantage point. Bald Hill. The name was described in the Lithgow Mercury 12th March 1908, ….Bald Hills greet the sight. These hills are well named, for they are indeed bald. The name is shown on the map Mount Victoria to the Western County, 1914. The previous name for Bald Hill was Panoramic Hill. Named by Surveyor Robert Hoddle, 20th October 1823. Ref: Colville, Berres Hoddle. Robert Hoddle Pioneer Surveyor 1794-1881, 2004, p. 43. The former Wolgan Valley Railway skirted Bald Hill on the eastern side.

Read More

Bald Ridge
 - Bald Ridge

Was an older name for where the present Bald Hill and Bald Trig is located. Ref: The Lithgow Mercury 21st November 1902.

Read More

Bald Trig Station *
 - Bald Trig Station

Is a trig station, at the elevation of 1180.70m, located on the ridge between the Bungleboori Creek to the north and north east and the Wollangambe River to the south and south east. The supporting stepped concrete base for this trig is over 2m high. The trig station was constructed in 1878-1879. Ref: Trig Summary Cards, Department of Lands, Bathurst.

Read More

Bandamora, Parish of *

A lands administrative division within the County of Roxburgh. It appears that the current spelling of the parish is incorrect as the earlier references show it spelt as Bandanora. The Sydney Gazette, 5th January 1832, p. 1 records land sale, 640 acres at Bandanora, about fifteen miles from Cullen Bullen. The property, Bandanora, is shown on the map NSW, The Surveys of the Australian Agricultural Company, 1833. A written history by William Corlis who lived at the property Bandanora from 1851 recalls the station was always called Bandanora, but he did not know the origin or meaning of the word. Ref: Jefferys, Bruce. The Story of Capertee, 1982, pp. 16-17.

Read More

Banksia Slot
 - Banksia Slot

Was so named by Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk 29th April 2016 as it contained four very fine healthy examples ofBanksia serrata. Located above the cliff line overlooking Canobla Creek and would be a pass through the cliffs to Canobla Gap Trail. Access via Newnes, Little Capertee Creek Camping Ground, Cathedral Canyon and the end of the northern spur.

Read More

Banner Drop Lookout
 - Banner Drop Lookout

Is located on the western end of a short spur line off Gardiners Gap Trail within Ben Bullen State Forest 1.3km north, north west of Invincible Trig. So named after a protest in 2011 to stop open cut coal mining in this area. Name shown on Karen McLaughlin’s 2nd edition The Gardens of Stone Stage 2 Reserve Proposal Map, August 2016.

Read More

Barcoo Swamp

Is an old, disused name. Barcoo is an Aboriginal name meaning, "Ice on Water". Barcoo Swamp forms the headwaters of Deanes Creek. Barcoo Swamp is located on the north east side of the Glowworm Tunnel Road and Galah Mountain Road intersection. Cullen Bullen Topo Map, GR 438 111. Ref: Barcoo Swamp shown on Tramway from Wolgan to Clarence. Survey Plan M12435. Surveyed by John Haydon Cardew, Licensed Surveyor, 13th December1905. Stephens, Eric. Wolgan Railway Notebook, 1934-1937. Records, "Track to Barcoo Hut". The first land grant of Cullen Bullen (2000ac) was taken up by Robert Venour Dulhunty. His brother Lawrence Vance Dulhunty also took a large grant of land nearby. He was at one stage Commissioner of Disputed Land Claims in the Tambo, Barcoo district in Queensland. Robert's son Lawrence Joseph Edward Dulhunty, moved to Tambo, Queensland and it was here that some of his children were born. The Barcoo River runs past Tambo. Ref: Dulhunty Papers, The Brisbane Courier, 26th March 1881, p. 7. Carne, J E. Field Book, State Records, 2/663, 11th January 1906, records, "Barcoo Hut".

Read More

Back to Top


Dry Canyon in the Gardens of Stone