Sign In

Home/Encyclopaedia

Bush Explorers Encyclopaedia

Winding Pinch Creek *
 - Winding Pinch Creek

Is a non perennial creek rising on the southern side of Glen Davis Road 4km south east of Mount Airly. It flows generally south east and south, south west for about 4km into Airly Creek. This was either a name relating to the mining era (winding up a bucket of ore), or it may be a descriptive name given to a narrow pinch of land (ridge line) which was needed to access this isolated 40ac parcel of land applied for by Murray Davidson on the 20th February 1879. Ref: Survey Plan 1674.1496. Shown on the map Parish of Coco, County of Roxburgh, 1883.

Read More

Window in the Sky Ravine
 - Window in the Sky Ravine

Is a 2.6km non perennial watercourse that has its headwaters 1.1km north east of Birds Rock Trig and flows north, north east into Carne Creek. At the point where this creek flows over the cliff line, the rock formation is likened to a window frame about 50m below the top of the cliff line and about 150m above the base of the cliffs below. This name was coined by Brian Fox and Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 10th October 2013.

Read More

Window to Infinity
 - Window to Infinity

Is a cliff top window view looking down a 50m vertical drop. Located 1.1km south east of Beecroft Trig Station. Named by Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk, 30th May 2014. Brian's immediate thought was that it gave the similarity to an infinity pool.

Read More

Window to Oblivion
 - Window to Oblivion

Is a balcony window view looking down a 50m vertical drop. Named by Daryl Watson on a Bush Club walk, 11th April 2014. Located 1.6km north west of road junctions, Angus Place Trail and Beecroft Firetrail.

Read More

Windy Gully

Is a narrow, north west facing, cliff lined section of unnamed creek which flows into Rocky Creek 3.5km north west of Mount Cameron. Ref: Correspondence with Danny Whitty, 3rd July 2010.

Read More

Wings of Icarus
 - Wings of Icarus

See Poseidon Arena.

Read More

Witches Mouth

Is the exit from The Dungeon as it involves a crawl through a tunnel that discharges into a dry gully. Named by Yuri Bolotin 29th August 2015.

Read More

Witches Vice
 - Witches Vice

So named by Harold Thompson on a Bush Club walk, 25th September 2015 in keeping with the named theme of Hecates Cauldron it is a slot about 80m height and in length and 1/2m wide.

Read More

Witches Watch

Is a lookout overlooking Hecates Cauldron above Pandoras Ravine. Named by Yuri in keeping with the Macbeth inspired naming theme. Peculiarly shaped shards of ironstone including a natural collar are regarded as witches" accoutrements.

Read More

Witches Yale
 - Witches Yale

Is a mythical beast and this natural rocky gargoyle framed against the sky as viewed from below Tara Slot is within Hecates Cauldron. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 25th September 2015.

Read More

Wobbegong Rock
 - Wobbegong Rock

Is located on the spine of the Wolgan – Capertee Divide, between Mount McLean and Mount Jamison. So named by Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk, 30th September 2013 as the rock resembles a Wobbegong Shark.

Read More

Wolgan *

Is now referred to by the Geographical Names Board as a, "Rural Place". It is located in the vicinity of the old Wolgan Homestead and present Emirates Wolgan Valley Resort. The planned Village of Wolgan was located on the level ground, southern side of Wolgan Road and western side of Mount Wolgan. Ben Bullen Topo Map, GR 359 186. At Wolgan, two acres were set aside for a public school on 20th September 1871. Ref: Survey Plan 143-1978. A church, manse and cemetery were approved on 9th February 1874. Ref: Survey Plan372-1984. Adjoining this area to the south was an area reserved for residential or business purposes, 8th February 1894. Wolgan was the chosen Aboriginal name of James Walker's outstation (homestead), c1825. It was this name which gave Wolgan Valley its name. Ref: Survey Plan B4.691r, dated 3rd January 1831. Stevens, Wade. Wolgan Valley Selected Climbing Areas, 2001, p. 37. Records,"reportedly the native name for its site at the confluence of the Wolgan River and Carne Creek ." Also see Mount Wolgan.

According to Isabella Gertrude (Gert) Poyitt, who was a school teacher in the Wolgan Valley in the 1920’s the name Wolgan came from the  local aboriginal word, ‘wolga’, the name for the Australian Clematis,Clematis aristata, a vine that is fairly common in the valley.

Helen Riley, Wiradjuri Elder and Sharon Riley, Wiradjuri representative, also record the word Wolgan, is named after the native plant Clematis aristate. Ref: Oral history 3rd May 2016.

Read More

Wolgan - Capertee Divide
 - Wolgan - Capertee Divide

The higest ridge line that divides the Wolgan Valley from Capertee Valley.

Read More

Wolgan Balcony
 - Wolgan Balcony

Is a 1km ledge between two cliff lines above the Wolgan River and above the Wolgan Valley railway alignment, 1.1km north, north west of the Glowworm Tunnel. The ledge offers extensive views of the Wolgan Valley and Donkey Mountain. Named on a Bush Club Walk by Michael Keats, Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox, 27th January 2017.

Read More

Wolgan Falls
 - Wolgan Falls

Mark the western end of the tight, winding canyon of the Wolgan River, as the waterfall flows over the cliff line into what is the start of the Wolgan Valley. Wolgan Falls are accessed via Blackfellows Hand Trail and Fire Trail No. 5 from the western side, or Fire Trail No. 7 from near the road junction of Sunnyside Ridge Road and Fire Trail No. 8 on the northern side. Best view of falls, GR 346 103.

Read More

Back to Top


Airly Forest