Is the locality name, which encompasses Mount Airly, Airly Turret and what was the Town of Airly. Glen Alice Topo Map, GR 240 332. The earliest reference to this name is recorded in Annabella Boswell's Journal, March 1839. She records the name Elyor, Erly Flat.
James Galagher purchased 40ac in the area in 1852 and used the name Airly. His second house at this location, constructed in 1863, was named Airly House. James" grandson, Rupert, recalls originally the place was called Early Flat.
Airlie is the obsolete dialect form of "early". The word Airly is also the obsolete term for earthly or heavenly and had a mention in Norton's verse in 1652, "which bare up Erth with his Aierly migh."
Ref: Mayne, Dianne. Airly Newsletter 1898. Unpublished, 1980. Galagher,Rodney. The Galaghers of Airly and Port Macquarie, 2010.