Sign In

Home/Encyclopaedia

Bush Explorers Encyclopaedia

Birds Caves No. 3
 - Birds Caves No. 3

See Birds Caves

Refers to 3 caves along Birds Rock Creek. GR 402 083. The first and most significant is approximately 18m wide, 12m deep and 6m high with flat foor. The other two caves are located at GR 409 086, dimensions 25m wide, 10m deep and 10m high and at GR 410 086 a cave that is about 30m long and is effectively a two storey cave. It is proposed to name these caves Birds Caves after brothers James and Richard Bird. It is their names which was given to Bird Rock Trig. Station. Named by Yuri Bolotin and Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk 27th December 2013.

Read More

Birds Rock
 - Birds Rock

Also see Pyramid Hill

Read More

Birds Rock Creek
 - Birds Rock Creek

Is located within Birds Rock Flora Reserve. Having its headwaters off the eastern side of Birds Rock Trig Station, it flows generally east for 4.5km into CarneCreek. James (Jim) Lancelot Bird (1895-1978) and his brother Richard Edward (Bert) Bertrum Bird (1891-1961) during the 1920s used horse teams to log the area on top of Newnes Plateau. Jim also worked for the surveyor Lieutenant Colonel Clews when Birds Rock Trig Station was constructed in 1930 by the Royal Australian Survey Corps. Ref: Joe Bird (son of Jim) oral history to Brian Fox,15th June 2009. Lands Department Bathurst Trig Summary Cards. Survey Plan 2811 and 2812.1507 records James Lancelot Bird having a special lease of 339ac (137ha) between the years 1934 and 1961 within the Wolgan Valley.

Read More

Birds Rock Flora Reserve *
 - Birds Rock Flora Reserve

Is roughly elliptical in shape and lies to the east of Birds Rock Trig Station within Newnes State Forest. About 16km north, north east of Lithgow. Access is via Sunnyside Ridge Road and Birds Rock Trail. Birds Rock Flora Reserve has a total area of 415ha. Originally accepted for preservation in 1966 but not gazetted until 23rd September 1988. A number of Eucalyptus species are in this reserve, including the Blue Mountains Ash,Eucalyptus oreades. Ref: Birds Rock Flora Reserve No. 126; Newnes State Forest No. 748, Working Plan.

Read More

Birds Rock Lookout
 - Birds Rock Lookout

Is a dramatic cliff edge lookout where the eastern end of Birds Rock Trail terminates less than 10m from a 150m drop into Carne Creek. Named by Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk, 10th October 2013. Access via Sunnyside Ridge Road.

Read More

Birds Rock Trail
 - Birds Rock Trail

Three numbered vehicular tracks that join Sunnyside Ridge Road carry this name.

Read More

Birds Rock Trig Station *
 - Birds Rock Trig Station

At the elevation of 1181m, is located about 6km south west of Deanes Siding and about 600m north, north east of the intersection of Sunnyside Ridge Road and Birds Rock Trail. T. S. No. 6278. Previously known as Sunnyside.

Read More

Birth Canal
 - Birth Canal

Is a 180 degree bend below a spherical cavern within Kangaroo Corner Creek, 1.4km west of Bell. So named by a previous owner ofGlastonbell in the early 1990s.

Read More

Blackfellows Hand Rock *
 - Blackfellows Hand Rock

Also known as Mayinygu Marragu also spelt as Maiyingu Marragu, is a spectacular rock wall and overhang located about 1km south, south east of Wolgan Gap. It is a significant Aboriginal stencil art site. The State Government Gazette, 18th July 2008, p. 7252 describes the land County Cook, Parish Cox, about 491 hectares, being Crown Reserve R 42350 for public Recreation. Notified 15th January 1908, excluding that part of Ben Bullen State Forest dedicated over the Crown Reserve and the Council Public road within the Crown Reserve. NPWS/07/12315. Blackfellows Hand Shelter and Complex was declared an Aboriginal Place, 8th November 2008. This grants it additional protection under the NPWS Act and assures the Wiradjuri people an ongoing link with their cultural heritage. Ref: Connections. The Wiradjuri name for the site is Mayinygu Marragu, various spellings, source Mingann Aboriginal Corp, Lithgow. Correspondence, 3rd February 2012: Helen Riley, widow of the late Mugii Murum-ban. Later reference 25th July 2016, Mingann confirmed the spelling as Maiyingu. An article in The Lithgow Mercury, 1907, records, in the vicinity of Wolgan Gap, “is a commodious arched rock shelter, which is liberally endowed with quaint designs of Aboriginal skill in the way of hands, feet and boomerangs that appear in the rock faces.” The Survey Plan C2323-1507, dated 13th February 1914, shows, ‘Cave with Aboriginal Markings.’ A detailed notice board was erected March 2016 on the approach road Blackfellows Hand Trail.

Ref: Lithgow Mercury 14th June 1918.

Read More

Blackfellows Hand Trail
 - Blackfellows Hand Trail

Joins Wolgan Road at GR 309 090, 800m south of Wolgan Gap, and extends to Beecroft Firetrail, GR 358 026. Note: from the junction of Beecroft Firetrail and Blackfellows Hand Trail to the Glowworm Tunnel Road at Bungleboori, it is signposted as Blackfellows Hand Trail, but in fact it is Old Bells Line of Road. Cullen Bullen and Lithgow Topo Maps. Note: A high clearance 4WD is required for the western section between Blackfellows Hand Rock and Fire Trail No. 5.

Read More

Blackmans Creek *

Rises from a number of tributaries between the southern side of Browns Gap and the western side of Mount Clarence. A partly perennial stream, it flows generally south, south east for about 4.8km into River Lett. John Blackman owned at one stage 687 acres of land surrounding this creek system. Ref: Parish of Lett, 2nd edition, 1890.

Read More

Blackmans Crown *
 - Blackmans Crown

Is a hill rising about 240 metres from Turon Creek with a height of 1015m. It is about 3km south, south east of Capertee and 1km south of Pearsons Lookout. Located on the Great Dividing Range, this part of the ridge is locally known as Crown Ridge.The NSW Government Gazette, 1835, p. 24, records the name Blackmans Crown. Lang, John Dunmore. An Historical and Statistical Account of New South Wales, 1875, p. 220, records,"the singularly formed summit of which is called Blackman's Crown, in honour of one of the earliest settlers at Mudgee, whose hat or head piece it was to resemble." 

Read More

Blackmans Flat *

Is a suburb 7.5km south, south east of Cullen Bullen and 3km north, north west of Lidsdale. Boundaries are within the Lithgow Council area. The Castlereagh Highway passes through it. The name Blackmans Flat is shown on Survey Plan 13.1507, dated 1853. Blackmans Flat was the site of Diggers Arms Inn, and the road in this area had a government toll gate. James Blackman (c1792-1868) married Mary John in 1815. He was the principal overseer of Government Stock. Ref: The Sydney Gazette, 30th April 1814, p. 2. This same newspaper on 5th July 1822, p. 1, recorded the Governor appointing him as Constable in the Town of Parramatta. Between the years 1819 and 1821, he was the Superintendent of Convicts at Bathurst. In c1821, he marked out a road from Bathurst to Wallerawang. Together with William Lawson and an Aboriginal named Aaron, in 1822, they explored a route from Bathurst to within the Rylstone area. Ref: Gresser, P J. The Aborigines of the Bathurst District from AIATSIS Library MS21/3/b, pp. 4-5. Australian Dictionary of Biography. Blackmans Crown shown on the Survey Plan by Robert Dixon, September 1830. Surveyor General select list of Maps and Plans, 2517.

Read More

Blacks Corner *
 - Blacks Corner

Is a local name recorded by Eardley and Stephens, "The ramparts of Airly Mountain are located on the western portion of the Morandurey (or Genowlan) Range and its rugged escarpments and out-jutting spurs, in plan view, resemble a three-leafed shamrock bending towards the east, a narrow-necked western extension, curling around northwards provided the shamrock shape with a figurative stalk which terminates in a headland known as Black's Corner." Ref: Eardley, G H. and Stephens, E M. The Shale Railways of NSW, 1974, p. 88. Within the chapter, The Genowlan Shale Company, Airly. The headland is located at approximately GR 230 360 with a height of just over 1020m.

Read More

Blacksmiths Cave
 - Blacksmiths Cave

Is located 600m south west of the intersection of Petra Avenue and Donald Road, Clarence. This sandstone overhang is 7m long by 4m wide and has a small, oval shaped opening at the back of the cave. Named Blacksmiths Cave, as at one time blacksmithing tools were located within it. This cave would have been in use during the period 1908-1910, when construction of the 10 tunnel deviations for the Main Western Line was being done. It was very likely named at this time.

Read More

Back to Top


Dry Canyon in the Gardens of Stone