Sign In

Home/Encyclopaedia

Bush Explorers Encyclopaedia

Blue Cap Rock *

See Blue Rock Gap.

Read More

Blue Mountains Range *

Is a range of mountains, plateau and escarpments extending off the Great Dividing Range about 4.8km north west of Wolgan Gap ina generally south east direction for about 96km and terminating at Emu Plains.For about two thirds of its length it is traversed by the Great Western Highway and the Main Western Railway. Several established towns are situated on its heights, including Katoomba, Blackheath, Mount Victoria, and Springwood. It forms the watershed between Coxs River to the south and the Grose and Wolgan Rivers to the north. The range is bounded on the north by the Wolgan and Colo Rivers, on the west and south by Coxs River and Lake Burragorang, and on the east by the Nepean-Hawkesbury River. Blue Mountains Range is shown on the Map of Colony of NSW by Robert Dixon, 20th July 1837. The range was crossed by Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson in 1813. Surveyor George Evans was instructed by Governor Macquarie to survey the road over the Blue Mountains, which he started in November 1813. William Cox was then commissioned to build the road. Work started on 18th July 1814 and was completed in March 1815.

Read More

Blue Rock
 - Blue Rock

Also called Blue Rocks, is a massive Devonian Limestone outcrop located on Crown Creek, midway between Pantoneys Crown and Mount Stewart in the Capertee Valley.

Read More

Blue Rock Creek
 - Blue Rock Creek

Flows from Blue Rock Gap between Mount Stewart and Point Cameron in a north, north westerly direction for 2.5km into Crown Creek. Where Crown Creek Trail crosses this creek, NPWS signage indicates Blue Rock Creek.

Read More

Blue Rock Gap *
 - Blue Rock Gap

Is a saddle dividing the watersheds of Crown Creek on the north west and Barton Creek on the south east. Located between Mount Davidson and Hughes Defile. GNB records, 27th August 1970 suggests that name is believed to depict the colour of the rock obtainable from Crown Creek. The name is recorded as Blue Cap Rock on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions of Parish of Goollooinboin maps, 1903-1930.

Read More

Blue Rocks
 - Blue Rocks

Consist of a massive outcrop of greyish - blue limestone, with a vertical face about 300 feet in height, which has been caused by the undermining and solvent action of the water of Crown Swamp Creek along a joint plane. The water disappears at this point, and is not seen above ground for about 3 miles, where it trickles over bars of travertine." Ref: Carne, Joseph Edmund. Mineral Resources of the Western Coalfield,1908, p. 245. The limestone outcrop supports a unique and distinctive vegetation, that includes the White Box Eucalypt, the Grass Tree, Xanthorrhoea glauca and the easternmost example of desert Spinifex Grass, Triodia. It also supports an extensive and unique native land snail fauna.

Read More

Bracey Trig Station

Is located 300m north west of near Braceys Lookout, Lithgow. Elevation of 1021m. The steel pillar was placed by the Lands Department on 13th December 1976. Named after Horace Edward Seymour Bracey (1852-1928), Hassans Walls Trustee 1892-98. Ref: Lands Department SCIMS Survey Mark Report.

Read More

Braceys Lookout
 - Braceys Lookout

This old lookout not to be confused with the current Braceys Lookout overlooking Lithgow, was located on the top of a large singular rock just down from the top of Hassans Glen and on the eastern side, near the road junction of Hassans Walls Road and the road to Padleys Pedestal. The Lithgow Mercury, 14th May 1915, p. 4, records, “This fine attraction has been named Bracey's Lookout, in recognition of the services to the town of Major Bracey, who has been identified prominently with local public matters for several years. " Horace Bracey (1852-1928), served as Mayor of Lithgow in 1895-96, 1903, 1906, 1910. Below this rock is Sandford Cave and Pillans Lookout and on the top of the rock is the feature known as the Natural Throne.

Read More

Braceys Lookout
 - Braceys Lookout

Overlooks Lithgow and is accessed by foot up the Eskbank Track or via Hassans Walls Road and Norm Henry Drive. The Lithgow Mercury, 28th October 1952, p. 2, records, " Bracey's Lookout, as a tribute to the late Mr. H. E. S. Bracey, whose works as a pioneer of Lithgow should carry a mark of perpetual remembrance." Braceys Lookout was redeveloped by Lithgow City Council in 2012 and rededicated in September with several members of the Bracey family in attendance. The solid concrete shelter shed from the 1950s is gone, but the name from it has been preserved on a nearby boulder.

Read More

Breakaway Point
 - Breakaway Point

Refers to a 7m x 2.5m rock platform having a 50m drop on three sides and a half metre gap on the fourth side to access this incredible view point. Located above the main bifurcation of Capertee Creek, and 3.1km south west of the old Newnes Hotel. Views of the surrounding cliff lines and downwards to the green pastures of the western end of the property known asRed Cliffs. Named by Brian Fox and Yuri Bolotin on a Bush Club walk 23rd September 2016.

Read More

Brighties Falls

Are located 3km north, north west of Mount Cameron. Below the falls, the unnamed creek flows into Annie Rowan Creek. Access is via Mount Cameron Trail. Ref: Correspondence with Danny Whitty, 3rd July 2010. Danny recalls his mother calling the falls, Bridal Falls when she was a child due to the 25ft (7.62m) thin mist (as a bridal veil). Local usage name c1920s.

Read More

Broad Swamp

Is the headwaters of East Creek, Newnes Plateau. Located between North Ridge Road and Camp Road, 3.5km north east of Bungleboori Camping Ground. Descriptive name was applied to this 150m wide, 20ha swamp in February 1985.Boronia deanei is one of the main native shrubs in this area.

Read More

Broken Barrier Range

Was described as, "This convoluted range divides the Wolgan Valley from Capertee Valley."Ref: Morgan, MacLeod. A short history of the Wolgan Valley, 1959. RAHS Journal, Vol. 45, Pt. 2, p. 94. This name is no longer in use. This range is part of the Great Dividing Range.

Read More

Browns Gap

Also known simply as, The Gap, is the access between Lithgow and Hartley, via Browns Gap Road. The Sun, 16th April 1913, p. 5, records the Aboriginal name as,Gnallwarra. Named after Thomas Brown (1811-1889), who lived atEskbank House . Thomas Brown was police magistrate and land commissioner for the district of Hartley and used to ride down a bridle track in the vicinity of the present road over the Gap on his way to and from the courthouse at Hartley. Ref: Lithgow Mercury 9th June 1916, p. 6. The Empire, 20th April 1865, p. 7, records the name Browns Gap.

Read More

Browns Gap Track
 - Browns Gap Track

At Hassans Walls Reserve is recorded in the Democrat, 9th October 1915, p. 13,"Early in the year we also made a six feet track from the Centenary Pavilion, a distance of about one and a half mile, connecting with Brown's Gap and Wilton's Ridge, another return track from Lithgow……This track named the Brown's Gap track. ” Named after Thomas Brown (1811-1889). This is now part of Hassans Walls Road. Original stone work can be seen at the top of Hassans Glen and start of the Undercliff Track.

Read More

Back to Top


Pagoda Rock Formations