Sign In

Home/Encyclopaedia

Bush Explorers Encyclopaedia

Browns Swamp *
 - Browns Swamp

Is a swamp about 800m north east of Clarence Railway Station and on the northern side of Bells Line of Road. Shown on the map Parish of Marangaroo, 1889. Thomas Brown was born in the Parish of Westerkirk, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, on 24th May 1811. He bought 200 acres (the first land sold in the Lithgow Valley), for 120 pounds. In following years, he bought more land. He built his permanent homeEskbank, so named after a river near his  birth place in Scotland, about 1842. He died in 1889.

Read More

Bubyong Pass
 - Bubyong Pass

Is a natural pass that gives access from the southern side of the Wolgan River up to the top of a plateau. Located 1.3km south, south east from Rocky Creek and Wolgan River junction. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 2nd October 2007. Michael's choice was derived from an Aboriginal Gundungurra word for 'head'.

Read More

Buddha Cave
 - Buddha Cave

Is a small niche, eroded into the base of a sandstone wall, the shape and white grains of sand give it the appearance of being a Buddha retreat. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 15th August 2013. Located 1.6km north east of Invincible Trig Station.

Read More

Budgary Creek *
 - Budgary Creek

Is a watercourse, about 9km long. It rises at Cockatoo Hill Trig Station and flows generally north east by north into Rocky Creek.

Read More

Bulla Nadgyung

Is an Aboriginal Gundungurra word for 'two waters'. It refers to two, opposing waterfalls about 15m in height within Minyaba Canyon, 900m south east of Mount Norris. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 31st October 2007.

Read More

Bulls Camp

Is located1.5km due west of Birds Rock Trig. Access was via Sunnyside Ridge Road. Ref: Correspondence with Danny Whitty, 3rd July 2010. Local usage name prior to 1980s. Stockyards were constructed in this area.

Read More

Bullwhip Slot
 - Bullwhip Slot

Yuri Bolotin named it on a Bush Club walk 20th January 2014. The bull whip being Zorro's second weapon of choice. Located 60m west of Rapier Slot and 100m west of Zorro Canyon.

Read More

Bungleboori *
 - Bungleboori

Was designated as a Rural Place by the Geographical Names Board on 11th July 1997.

Read More

Bungleboori Arch
 - Bungleboori Arch

Is located 1.3km, 10 degrees west of south from Mount Horne. It is oriented north west to south east. Bungleboori Creek flows around the Arch to the north west, not through it. The dimensions of the actual Arch are thickness 3m, reasonably uniform, width 12m at the base and height 9m.

Read More

Bungleboori Camping Ground
 - Bungleboori Camping Ground

And picnic area are on the eastern side of the intersection of Glowworm Tunnel Road and Old Bells Line of Road. Access is via State Mine Gully Road or via Clarence. This camping ground is not currently being maintained by the Lithgow Council and therefore cannot be recommended. This site originally contained two Forestry Commission cottages, subsequently one moved to the Afforestation Camp and one was moved to a private property on Mckanes Falls Road, Lithgow. Later the Forestry Commission installed toilets, now removed. Ref: Eric Lane, former forestry foreman, 20th November 2012.

Read More

Bungleboori Creek *
 - Bungleboori Creek

Is a watercourse, about 36km long. It rises on the eastern side of Glowworm Tunnel Road at Bungleboori Camping Ground and flows into the Wollangambe River. Forthe majority of its length, it generally flows in an easterly direction. GNB names register records the previous name for the southern tributary, which rises about 3km south west of Mount Horne, as Nine Mile Branch. The  Lithgow Council, investigating the region for a suitable water supply for the town when it was experiencing a drought in the early 1940s, named the area as "Lithgow Water Supply Bungleboori Augmentation Scheme Catchment District". Ref: Lithgow Council Minutes, 12th January 1942. Originally, the two main creek sections of the western end of Bungleboori Creek were called North Branch Bungleboori Creek and the southern branch, Nine Mile Creek. The north branch is now called Dingo Creek.

Read More

Bungleboori Lookout
 - Bungleboori Lookout

A local name, is located 2.6km northeast of Bald Trig Station. Access is via 4WD firetrails to a mine airshaft GR 444 975 and walking north east to the end of the ridge line. Bungleboori Lookout is highlighted in Karen McLaughlin's pamphlet, short walks on the Newnes Plateau. Compiled for the Blue Mountains Conservation Society, June 2009. There are spectacular views from a narrow ridge line towards north and east of Bungleboori Creek and surrounding area. The three Aboriginal named creeks, Bungleboori, Dumbano and Yarramun, are shown on the Wallerawang one inch to the mile Army Topo Map, March 1933, most likely named by Lt. Col. Hugh Powell Gough 'Major' Clews when he compiled this map sheet.

Read More

Bushrangers Creek
 - Bushrangers Creek

Has its headwaters in a 900m ravine between the western side of Sunnyside cliffs and the eastern side of Cape Pinnacle cliffs. This creek flows generally north and north east for about 5.5km to its junction with the Wolgan River. Named by Hugh Speirs in 2011 after his bushwalking group, called the Bushrangers.

Read More

Cable Point, see Forge Point

Camp Cave
 - Camp Cave

Is a large overhang on the southern side of the upper reaches of Genowlan Creek, 1.1km north of Genowlan Trig Station. Named by Colin (Col) Maxwell Ribaux, former property owner of Airly Mountain. Camp Cave has a number of options for water, depending on recent rains. Ref: Correspondence with David Blackwell, 28th April 2010 and Haydn Washington, 30th May 2010.

Read More

Back to Top


Airly Forest