Was a private village, constructed in 1889 for employees working the retort complex that processed kerosene shale transported by various means from the mines in the adjoining eastern valley of Airly. Torbane School opened in October 1899 and closed in September 1920. Torbane in NSW was named after a village of that name in Scotland which came to be associated with the Boghead Deposits discovered in 1844. At the time, the mineral Torbanite became known as Boghead Mineral. Commercial extraction of oil on the shores of the North Sea dates back to 1851, when James Young retorted oil from Torbanite. Ref: Eardley, G H. and Stephens, E M. The Shale Railways of NSW, 1974, p. 99.