Is a narrow finger peninsula containing a very deep, narrow cleft. Located approximately half way between Cape Pinnacle and Sunnyside Point. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Club walk, 18th July 2007. Walking access via Fire Trail No. 8, off Sunnyside Ridge Road.
Bush Explorers Encyclopaedia
See Clerestory Spurs
See Clerestory Spurs
Are twelve, pagoda studded spurs trending approximately north, north east from the main creek system of Sawyers Swamp towards the Beecroft Firetrail. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 14th September 2011. No. 1 GR 308 025; No. 2 GR 312 027; No. 3 GR 313 024; No. 4 GR 317 023; No. 5 GR 319 020; No. 6 GR 322 018; No. 7 GR 324 017, No. 8 GR 326 017; No. 9 GR 327 014; No. 10 GR 331013; No. 11 GR 334 012; No. 12 GR 336 012. A clerestory is the upper part of the nave of a Gothic church or other building with windows above the aisle roofs.The pagodas measure up in every way to such a title, as they include numerous perforations or windows.
See Clerestory Spurs
See Clerestory Spurs
See Clerestory Spurs
Is a natural pass giving access from Bungleboori Creek towards Mount Horne, 2.3km due south of Mount Horne. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 24th October 2007, after a local area name, the Parish of Clwydd.
Is a spur line trending 1.6km in a generally north south direction, having Lithgow High School below on the western side and Hartley Valley Road and the Vale of Clwydd on the eastern side. Lithgow Mercury, 4th June 1915, p. 6, records that James Padley suggested that the ridges at the back of the town be named. “The one at the rear of the Vale of Clwydd he suggested be named Clwydd Ridge.”
Is located on a small spur on the eastern side of the Vale of Clwydd above Chifley Road, Lithgow. The steel pillar was placed by the Lands Department on the 13th December 1976. Height 1038.832m. Ref: Lands Department SCIMS Survey Mark Report.
Are located in Sutherland Gully between the Tiger Snake Canyon Track and the Pagoda Track, 1.1km north east of Glowworm Tunnel. The galleries consist of an astonishing series of caves and overhangs. One of the largest is a beautiful chamber of golden sandstone, 40m across by 20m deep by 30m high, with soft sandy floor sloping about 30-35 degrees, except near the drip line, where it is flat. There is no internal vegetation, making the space even more dramatic. Named by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a bush walk 23 December 2016.
See Old Coach Road.
Was named by Russell, (Russ) Alfred May (1926-2010), c1960s, due to the large number of Coachwood trees (Ceratopetalum apetalum) growing in this side canyon of Rocky Creek. Located 600m south east of Galah Trig Station, accessed via Galah Mountain Road. Sheep Dip Canyon is the next tributary to the west. Within this area is the feature, is the Garden of Eden.
Gives access from the western side of Carne Creek to Fire Trail No. 4. 3.1km south south east of Birds Rock Trig. So named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk 2nd June 2014 due to the brilliant red fungi,Hygrocybe coccinea located in this gorge. This gorge is 400m in length and varies from 2m to 50m in width.
Is located on the southern side of the junction of Glowworm Tunnel Road and Eastern Boundary Road within the Newnes State Forest. This name first appears on the Survey Plan, Tramway from Wolgan to Clarence. Survey Plan M12435. Surveyed by John Haydon Cardew, Licensed Surveyor, 13th December 1905.
Is at 1068.70m above sea level. Established by the Lieutenant Colonel Clews, Royal Australian Survey Corps, 1930. Ref: Trig Summary Cards, Department of Lands, Bathurst and Gough, Noel R. "The Major" Lt. Col. Hugh Powell Gough Clews. Two trig stations in this area are named after the local birdlife; the other one is Galah Trig Station. Note: This trig no longer exists.
Is a partly perennial stream rising on the Great Dividing Range about 3km east of Ben Bullen at Rowans Hole. It flows generally north and north east for about 25km into the Capertee River about 5km south south west of Glen Alice. Annabella Boswell's Journal, March 1839 records the name, Coco Creek. The name Coco or Cooks Creek is recorded in the County Land Sales, Sydney Morning Herald, 11th May 1858, p. 3. Early parish maps show the named creek as Cooks or Coco Creek as it was the boundary between the two Parishes, Coco and Cook. Ref: Parish of Coco, 1883. The Sydney Gazette on 25th February 1832 records Cocos Islands as an important trade and resupply stop for sailing vessels and the importance of coco-nuts. The importation of coconut oil in large quantities (over 50 tons) was for the following purpose: "in the making of gas for the purpose of illumination, such gas having been found much superior to the gases commonly in use". Ref: Wentworth, William Charles. A Statistical Account of the British Settlements in Australia, 1824, pp. 428-429. Whether this connection to this named feature is true, is yet to be confirmed. Or maybe the origins of the name Coco and Cook Creeks are linked as they are adjoining Parishes. Certainly, Captain James Cook records in his journal the importance of Coconuts as a lifesaving food source. Ref: Cook's journal, 29th July and 4th August 1770.
Located on the side of a small rise on one of tributaries of Coco Creek. Note they are on private property, permission must be obtained.
Is a saddle in a mesa about 4km south west of Mount Dawson and 1km south of Point Cornell. Shown on the map Parish of Wolgan, 1884. This gap divides the tributaries of Red Rock Creek and Barton Creek. Note, Collett Gap is misspelled, so named after Pierce Collitt (1760-1848) and Mary Collitt (1769-1841), who in 1823 were the first to establish an inn on the western side of the Blue Mountains. The Collitt's Inn at the foot of Mount York in the 1820s and 1830s was one of the last comfortable inns before leaving into the wilds of the Capertee and Wolgan area. Ref: Paridaens, Iris. Lithgow and Hartley Valley Sketchbook, 1978, p. 4.
Is a vast natural rocky amphitheatre complete with a natural lectern on the northern side, about halfway up Henry Creek. Located 2.5km north east of the junction of Glowworm Tunnel Road and Old Coach Road. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 17th August 2012.
Between the 1880s to c1913, shale oil was mined and refined at Hartley Vale, placed into oil tanks, transported up the mountain incline, then onto a tramline to Hartley Vale Railway siding, from where it was then transferred to Sydney. Comet was the brand name of the kerosene which was produced from the shale. The western extent (top of the incline) was located one kilometre east, north east of Hartley Vale at an elevation of 900m. The eastern extent joined the Darling Causeway near the southern side of the intersection with Hartley Vale Road.
Lies roughly midway between Mount Dawson and Point Nicholson, 200m north east of Gindantherie Pinnacle. Named by Michael Keats on his Bush Clubwalk, 30th August 2006. This rock appears to be suspended in space and on its top, level surface, scattered by nature, are ten small rocks or tablets of stone. Also named as Balancing Boulder. Ref: Tom Brennan's photo gallery, 1 - 2nd June 2013.
Is a group of rocks accessed via Wolgan Road and Blackfellows Hand Trail. Located about 700m east, south east of Wolgan Gap. Named by the Woody Pear Walking Group, September 1995. This group started due to an Outdoors TAFE course led by Margaret Baker. Ref: Olive Noble's track notes from Woody Pear Walking Group,17th September 1995. The group were not sure where they were and someone said has any one got a compass, and everyone pulled out a compass.
Refers to the narrow cliff lined ravine that extends from near the saddle at the top of Zobels Gully and down the southern side towards Deanes Creek. A perennial stream runs through it. The Sydney Morning Herald, 10thJanuary 1906, p. 7, Proposed Tramway Route, depicts Constance Gorge as "the scenery is described as magnificent, so that with the construction of the line a new centre of attraction will be opened for the tourist." Carne, J E. Field Book, State Records, 2/663, 11th January 1906, p. 75 records, thin chocolate band (shale) in Constance Gorge and a diagram of bridge across it. Constance Gorge was first shown on the Survey Plan, Tramway from Wolgan to Clarence. M12435. Surveyed by John Haydon Cardew, Licensed Surveyor 13th December 1905.The most likely origin of the name is from Constance Caroline Mary (c1872-1932), who was the wife of Donald Sutherland, Consulting Engineer and General Manager of The Commonwealth Oil Corporation Ltd mine and refinery at Newnes in 1906 at the time when the Wolgan Valley Railway was being constructed. Constance Caroline Mary's name, Constance was also the name given to the Wolgan Valley Railway Shay Locomotive No. 1.
Eardley, G H. and Stephens, E M. in their work, The Shale Railways of NSW, 1974, pp. 139 and 143 record, "Constance, the original locomotive depot sited within the limits set by a reversing triangle." This was located about 200m from the Wolgan River within Zobels Gully.
Is a means of access from the Wolgan River via Zobels Gully to the top of Constance Point. Constance Point is the northern most point of the spur line in which the Old Coach Road is located. This pass is on the eastern side of the point. Named by Brian Fox on a Bush Club walk 8th January 2016.
Is the most northerly point on a ridge line between Constance Gorge on the east and Wolgan River on the west. Michael Keats has applied this name in his Bush Club track notes, 28th May 2010. Mount Morgan Topo Map, GR 438 229. Constance was also the name given to the Wolgan Valley Railway Shay Locomotive No. 1. Walking access via Zobels Gully and Constance Pass.
Is a unique, natural parallel sided gully with an internal watershed that contains Zobels Gully flowing north and then west to the Wolgan River and Constance Gorge flowing south and then east to Deanes Creek. The trench section is flanked by tall vertical cliffs for the majority of the way.
Has its headwaters on the eastern side of Sunnyside Ridge Road 2.5km south of Birds Rock Trig Station. It flows generally south east for 2.6km to its junction with Carne Creek. The topographic map gives only the slightest hint of the sinuous contortions within this creek. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 13th March 2013.
Sydney Morning Herald, 23rd November 1892, p. 4 records construction of a dam across Farmers or Cooerwull Creek at a place amongst the hills north of Zig Zag Valley. The aboriginal name, Cooerwull was the property name of Thomas Brown. Ref: The Sydney Herald, 18th June 1838, p. 3. The word Cooerwull according to the Australian Town and Country Journal, 23rd March 1878, p. 23, “is an aboriginal name signifying seed or plant.” However most references record it as, “little flowering plant.” The Queenslander, 26th November 1898, p. 1030. “for a small flowering plant” Ref: Lithgow Mercury, 5th April 1917, p. 6. Most likely, it refers to the Bluebell, Wahlenbergia stricta .
Has Sheedys Gully on the eastern side and the suburb of Littleton below on the western side with Lithgow Rifle Range in the gully. This ridge has three sets of communication towers along the ridge. On the northern end is Cooerwull Trig Station. Lithgow Mercury, 4th June 1915, p. 6, records that, James Padley suggested that the ridges at the back of the town be named.“The one at the rear of the Extension Estate Cooerwull Ridge”.
Is located above the southern side of the suburb of Cooerwull in Lithgow. Height 1056.1m. The concrete pillar was placed by the Lands Department on the 13th December 1976. Ref: Lands Department SCIMS Survey Mark Report.
Is located in Hassans Glen after Gannon Cave and before King Georges Head. Named after Sir Joseph Cook (1860-1947) who settled in Lithgow and worked at the Vale of Clwydd Colliery. In 1891 he became the Local Member for Hartley, and later went on the serve the country as Prime Minister between 1913 and 1914. Re: Lithgow Mercury, 14th May 1915, p. 4.
Refers to the cliff line behind the old Newnes Hotel overlooking Little Capertee Creek. Name is recorded with map in Taylor, Pete. The Wolgan Valley A Rockclimber's Guide, 1st ed; 1974, p. 17. This map also records the valley below Cooks Cliffs as Cooks Valley. First modern recorded climb was in January 1970, but also climbed from the 1950s by the scouts and other enthusiasts.
Is a partly perennial stream rising on the Great Dividing Range about 3km east of Ben Bullen at Rowans Hole. It flows generally north and north east for about 25km into the Capertee River about 5km south, south west of Glen Alice. "Cook's Creek" is shown on Mitchell, Thomas. Map of the Colony of New South Wales, 1834. Now known as Coco Creek.
Is a short, 1.2km creek, flowing in a south east direction into the start of the Dumbano Canyon section on the northern side of Dumbano Creek. Peter Fox, a member of the National Parks Association, named this creek in late 1990s after John Alexander Cooper. John is a prominent and active member of The Bush Club.
Extends in a generally north south direction for 4km from Bald Trig Station above the Bungleboori Creek. Peter Fox, a member of the National Parks Association, named this ridge in late 1990s after John Alexander Cooper. John is a prominent and active member of The Bush Club. At the northern end is Bungleboori Lookout.
The property known as the Corn Paddock, derives its name from land use on the rich alluvial flats below the confluence of Barton and Carne Creeks on Portion 12, Parish of Wolgan, County of Cook. During the Newnes industrial period most of the vegetables for the townsfolk of Newnes were grown here. Reputedly corn, the dominant crop was grown to feed the working horses. The Corn Paddock homestead and buildings are located on the higher western part of the surveyed portion. SMH 16th May 1932, p. 10 records, road repaired to the spot known as the corn paddocks. Edwin Penrose was the first owner of this portion in 1869. (Survey Plan C387.1507) . Originally known as Penrose's Corn Paddock. Winchester, F, 1982; Wolgan Valley, cited in Lithgow District Historical Society's Occasional Paper. No. 51, p. 3.
A point of land on the top of the cliff line directly above the property called, Corn Paddock. The Corn Paddock property derives its name from the river flats adjacent to the homestead. The flats were used to raise corn to feed the pit ponies employed by the Newnes Industrial Complex operation from about 1905 to 1920. Ref: Correspondence Doug Coates, owner of the Corn Paddock 29th August 2014. Named by Michael Keats on a Bush Club walk, 29th August 2014.
Is located 2.8km south east of Birds Rock Trig, off Sunnyside Ridge within Newnes State Forest. The plan view is semi circular having a 120 degree arc, the arc being 90m and the diameter 50m.The elevation is more horseshoe in shape and having a height of about 80m. The rocky floor mostly devoid of any vegetation is raked at about 35 degrees. The entrance and a precarious ledge to access this huge overhang is a challenge. To date this is the largest cave documented on the whole of the Newnes Plateau, hence the name, so coined by Yuri Bolotin and Brian Fox on a bush walk, 28th November 2015.
Is a name bestowed by rock climbers to an area of cliff line within the eastern tributary of the headwaters of Reedy Creek. It contains a succession of sheer rock faces, where every few metres climbers have painted cryptic alpha numeric inscriptions of identified climbing points. The cliff faces are also embellished with stainless steel bolts and eyelets.
"So named by me considering that its lofty summits must have been the first land, that meet the eye of that celebrated navigator, on his first approach to the eastern coast."Ref: Mitchell, Major T. L. Three Expeditions into the Interior of Eastern Australia, 1839, Vol. 1; p. 152. Captain James Cook (1728-1779) sailed in the barque rigged ship Endeavour via Cape Horn to Tahiti to observe the transit of Venus. He then circumnavigated New Zealand and sailed west to land at Botany Bay on 29th April 1770. James Cook on the 22nd August at Possession Island took possession of the whole of the eastern coast. Ref: Australian Dictionary of Biography.
Is a perennial river rising north east of Gardiners Gap about 6km north, north east of Cullen Bullen and flowing generally south and east for about 100km into Lake Burragorang. The river is located on numerous topographical maps; the area of interest for this book is on the Cullen Bullen and Lithgow Topo Maps. Headwaters GR 297 132. Coxs River may have also been known by the local Aborigines as Duiwan. Andy Macqueen's research of Surveyor General Mitchell's assistant, surveyor Peter Grant Ogilvie showed that the monthly report by Ogilvie in March 1829 records the native name of Coxs River as, Duiwan. As late as 1896 Gundungurra elder Billy Lynch was reported as saying that the Gundungurra group who had lived in the Megalong - Kanimba area were the "Therabulat", and that was also their name for the Coxs River. Ref: Heritage. Newsletter of the Blue Mountains Association of Cultural Heritage Organisation Inc. July - August 2015. Issue 39; pp.8-13. Named after William Cox, J P, (1764-1837), by Governor Lachlan Macquarie (1762-1824). Macquarie had commissioned Cox to construct a road over the Blue Mountains, which Cox started on 18th July 1814 and completed in March 1815.
